Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Comrades

A lot has been happening these past few weeks, and I am, as always, overwhelmed by the goodness of our God.  Last Monday, after daniel had returned from certification, we were informed that his deployment was being moved up a month.  Since he was already deploying in less than 2 months, moving it up a month was kind of a big deal.  Daniel's kennel master called us in to discuss the change.  I'll be honest - I thought I knew how this conversation would go.  "Mrs. Sandoval, this isn't our fault, it's the fault of someone much more important than me.  If I could help I would.  This is how the Army is sometimes.  Blah Blah Blah."  I nestled onto the couch in the kennels day room, took a deep breath, and practiced my "this is my happy attitude" face.  My practiced expression was quickly replaced with surprise when Webster, the kennel master, instead asked, "What do you need from me?"
"Uh..."
"I want to help you prepare a plan to take to the commander, and then to battalion and brigade," he explained.  "Lets find a date that works for everyone."
I was shocked, astounded, and a number of other synonyms for surprise.  With Daniel and Web, we created a plan that would allow us our 30 days of leave as a family, give us time to settle into our new home as a family of five, and have daniel in country at a time that would please everyone.  The friendliness and kindness from Web was something I had never encountered so easily with chain of command, and I am so incredibly grateful.


A TRIBUTE
DIANE
Also last week, I was surprised when my childhood best friend asked if she could come visit.  She flew in Thursday morning and we had a wonderful long weekend catching up.  Diane and I ventured through a lot together growing up.  We went from playing barbies, to boy talk, to weddings, to babies. She reminded me how blessed I am to have friends from all around the country, and her very presence made me think of all the friends I have made with each move. 
 LESLIE
Leslie was my very first Army friend.  Her husband, Josh, worked with Daniel, and I met them within days of arriving at Fort Leonard Wood, just after Daniel and I were married.  She took me under her wing and taught me so much.  We had sleepovers when our husband were away, we shopped together, cried together, fumed together, laughed together.  She was my best friend.  When our husbands both went to Korea, I even stayed with Leslie for some of the time.  This past July, she lost her husband in Afghanistan.  Even in her grief, she continues to teach me about strength, grace, and life.  I am so honored to have such a beautiful woman as my friend.

JOLENE
I met Jolene within a couple months of moving to Fort Campbell.  I was in search of my Leslie replacement at our new duty station, and after leaving a dinner party at Jolene's I told Daniel, "I found my Leslie".  Like Les, she was more knowledgeable about everything - the military, marriage, raising children, and just life.  We were inseparable, and when her husband deployed, I felt that Jolene and her two girls became an extension of our family.  Leaving her when we moved on was achingly hard for me.  I still consider her one of my best friends, though life has gotten in the way as of late and we talk less often that we'd like.

HEATHER
It took a long time to find my Leslie-Jolene when we moved into the recruiting world.  We were no longer surrounded by other army families who understood the need to make friends quickly and intensely.  I met Heather at a Bible Study more than 6 months after we moved to the area.  Until that time, I had essentially been friendless.  I had a few people who were friendly to me, but no one that I could confide in, celebrate with.  No one to provide playmates for my kids.  I was the loneliest I had ever been.  When Heather took me in as a friend, our recruiting town became home.  Heather also taught me a lot through our laughter and tears.  She taught me a lot about motherhood, and a great deal about living life as a christian mom and wife.  Together we took on the children's program at church, and we became incredibly close.  Today, she is still the person I go to on a daily basis for friendship, advice, laughter and sympathy.  I miss her terribly.

JESSICA
I met Jessica the day her husband returned from Afghanistan.  There was a homecoming at the kennels, and because we were new to Fort Bragg, I wanted to go along with the hope of meeting people. As most military friendships go, we bonded quickly.  Because our husband's mostly work the same schedule, we have a lot of opportunity to simply hang out together.  She was a comfort when I was expecting our third child in a foreign place to us, and she has been a wealth of knowledge and help related to fort Bragg and Daniel's upcoming deployment.  Even upon leaving, I know her friendship will be one that will continue despite the distance.

Considering the best friends God has given me along the way is a comfort with this move and daniel's deployment approaching.  He has shown faithful with each move that He will not only provide my needs, but He provides comfort and friendship each time.  While I may feel that my world is upside down, I know He is a friend who cares and is going to provide for me, for Daniel, for the kids. It's those little assurances that are so comforting right now.

1 comment:

  1. Make me cry!!! I love you and miss you too! And it was def not one-sided either. you taught me so much about friendship and life and relaxing as the mother of a boy! I'd never survived those years with Evan without you and Julian!

    ReplyDelete