Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hurry up...and wait

When I first married Daniel seven years ago, I had often heard him and his family (all prior military) joke about the famous ways of the Army - to hurry up, and then to wait on them.  Throughout the years, the joke has become less funny and proven incredibly true.  There is only so much we can do on our end, and then we are at their mercy. I have rarely been more aware of this than when we move, and this time is no different. 
If (when) Daniel certifies with Bony, his explosive detecting working dog, this week, then his deployment is practically set in stone and we need to scurry to locate a home for me close to family in Pennsylvania.  This week, therefore, I am calling about rentals and searching for a place to live, but I can't commit to anything until the end of the week, at the absolute soonest.  And even that is risky, as Daniel's date could change before we get official orders (and even after if they so desired). 
This may sound as though I am complaining, and I promise that I'm not.  I'm simply setting the backdrop to my oldest battle - trust.  My mom is looking at a house for us tomorrow that sounds perfect, but the landlord told me that others are looking as well.  It's hard for me to remind myself that God really does want what is best for me.  If I don't get that house, it is for a reason.  Perhaps because he has an even better one, or perhaps simply because it's not what He wants for me. 
I think God must have chuckled when He chose Daniel, my military man, for me.  He knew that I would have to learn to be patient and to rely on Him more.  And He knew what a challenge that would be for me.  I always want to pull the trigger before I barely have the target in my sights.  I would have hoped that after 7 years as an Army wife, 21 years as a Christian, I would have this down by now.  But no, I'm still hurrying up, and then slamming on the brakes while I learn to wait.
A friend of mine sent me her own blog to edit earlier this week.  Not sure if it was because she truly wanted me to insert my commas and suggestions everywhere (which I did), or if she wanted to be assured that I read it (which I can certainly appreciate).  Her blog was on worry.  One of the things that stood out to me most was that she said worrying is allowing Satan to reign.  Such an obvious thing, but I never thought of it that way.  When I worry, Satan is winning.  Shivers and Ick - that's for you, Mom.
So tonight, when I think about the ranch house that sits comfortably between my mom and mother in law, I'll pray for guidance and an obvious answer.  No worries here! 

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts. I'm praying for you, Daniel, the kids and the house. :)

    ReplyDelete