Saturday, February 4, 2012

God Bought the Ticket

Very early this morning I sent Daniel off to the airport; he's headed for certification with his military working dog, Bony.  After he left, I settled back into bed, hoping to gain a couple more hours before our 6 week old, Carver, woke to eat again.  Instead of waking to a crying baby, I woke to my ringing phone around 6am.  It was Daniel; at the fault of the Army, his government travel card wouldn't work and he needed a way to buy his roundtrip ticket.  "How much?" I asked groggily.  "Just over $1000".  I knew we didn't have that in our bank account, and while I wanted to say, "Too bad for the Army, then; come back home!" I knew that wasn't possible.  "Babe, we got our tax money deposited in the account sometime throughout the night," Daniel said, breaking into my worries and causing me to almost laugh.  There goes God, taking care of us again.  "I just want to make sure you're ok with me using it," Daniel said. "We'll get it paid back to us." 
This is far from the first time that God has stepped in in a "little" big way and shown Himself to us.  With this deployment approaching, I have a lot of fears.  What if Daniel doesn't come back as himself?  What if the kids and I kill each other before the year is out?  What if I can't find a comfortable place to live back in my hometown?  What if he doesn't come back at all???  And then God steps in and pays the plane ticket.  He might as well have taken me by the shoulders and yelled loud enough for me to hear through all my human doubts, "Child!  Why do you doubt that I can't take care of you?  That I don't love you?  That I don't have your best interest at the very core of every moment?"  I know that this doesn't mean that bad things won't happen; I have seen too much sadness in my friends' lives this last year.  But what He is saying is that He is bigger than it all, and when it all comes down to it, He'll fly us where we need to go...both literally and figuratively speaking, of course. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making me cry at 9am....Just kidding, sort of. God is teaching me the same lesson right now, just different circumstances. One of my friends told me to listen to the Casting Crowns song "Word of God Speak" as an encouragement. The chorus really speaks to me.

    Word of God speak
    Would You pour down like rain
    Washing my eyes to see
    Your majesty
    To be still and know
    That You're in this place
    Please let me stay and rest
    In Your holiness
    Word of God speak

    We can rest and take comfort in the fact that God's in control, no matter what the outcome. And I love how He uses the little things to remind us of this. Hope you get your money back soon!

    Great post! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete